The Centre for Climate Dynamics at the Bjerknes Centre (SKD) was appointed by the Ministry of Education and Research for the period 2010-2021. The centre draws upon the expertise developed by - and to the accomplishments of - the Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research since its inception of a national Centre of Excellence in 2002. The SKD combines expertise in climate dynamics from its partners: The University of Bergen, Uni Research Ltd, the Institute of Marine Research and the Nansen Environmental and Remote Sensing Center. These major research institutions in Bergen constitute a national hub in climate research.
Strategic thematic areas:
- Natural and anthropogenic climate changes
- Process understanding and uncertainties
- Regional climate scenarios and extremes
- Climate sensitivity and warm periods in Earth’s history
- Past, present and future changes in sea level
- The carbon cycle and the marine ecosystem